Cleaning up old kernels on an Ubuntu box

So, I’m piddling around, cleaning up old kernels on my crappy Ubuntu server.  I thought I’d make a note for future reference, I always have to Google whenever it occurs to me to do this.

Find the running kernel (so I know what not to delete):

root@schoolserver:~# uname -r

Here’s what I’ve got installed:

root@schoolserver:~# dpkg --list | grep linux-image | grep -v module
ii  linux-image-3.19.0-43-generic        3.19.0-43.49~14.04.1                 i386         Linux kernel image for version 3.19.0 on 32 bit x86 SMP
ii  linux-image-3.19.0-47-generic        3.19.0-47.53~14.04.1                 i386         Linux kernel image for version 3.19.0 on 32 bit x86 SMP
ii  linux-image-generic-lts-vivid                         i386         Generic Linux kernel image

Lemme remove the old, unused one:

root@schoolserver:~# apt-get purge linux-image-3.19.0-43-generic
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  linux-headers-3.19.0-42 linux-headers-3.19.0-42-generic
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  linux-image-3.19.0-43-generic* linux-image-extra-3.19.0-43-generic*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 155 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y

There’s no power button on this weird machine, it boots when you plug it in.  My workaround for powering it off is that I’ve set the grub timeout to 3 minutes. Reboot, then unplug it at the grub menu.

Imported content from the “Southside XO Techs” Blog from Blogger

Way back in 2010, I set up Southside XO Techs on Blogspot (or Blogger or whatever Google’s Blogging service is called now).  That’s where I made notes on XO and XS stuff.

Anyway, now that I’ve got this WordPress thing, I went ahead and migrated the content from there.  That’s why you’re seeing posts in the archive here starting from 2010 even though I set this up for work practice in March of 2015.

I guess I’ll leave that blog up over there, though I haven’t posted to it in years.  Exporting and importing the xml file with all the posts was really easy.  Though it kept the image links the same, pointed at Blogspot, so I had to manually fix the images to be hosted here.

Moved to a new subdomain

I’ve been meaning to move this WordPress installation to its own cPanel account and subdomain.  While I was at it, I updated WordPress and switched to the 2016 theme.

This is still a crappy site with barely any content, cause I basically just use it for practice for work, but hopefully it’s more secure now.  Oh, and I got a free SSL cert from our favorite CA – Startcom.

Let the comment spam commence!